We call this the Judge Lewis Room room in honor of Judge W.H. Lewis, the original builder of the home. Judge Lewis built his home in the late 1860’s, and it is here that he and his wife Emma raised their children. After Emma passed away Judge Lewis married Sarah M. “Maggie” Leonard, and it is believed at that time he “remodeled” the house (which would have included this bedroom) to suit the needs of his new wife! Maggie & Judge Lewis raised Maggie’s nephew (Leonard Fitz-Randolph), whose mother (Maggie’s older sister, Mary) died during childbirth in the late 1800’s. Leonard lived in this home from age 5 to adulthood. We are honored to have been gifted Leonard’s childhood bed from his family and proudly have it in this guest room displaying antique quilts!
In approximately 1900, Judge Lewis opened Fairmount Nursery here in 1870 where he grew and sold trees, flowers and shrubs of all kinds throughout Iowa. A favorite was the hydrangea. The vintage reproduction wallpaper in this room pays homage for his adoration of these and the many other beautiful flowers he grew here.